Human resources professionals are facing exciting and challenging times today. As the gig economy gains even more steam, talent management takes center stage in business strategy, and benefits packages change shape. Technology advancements also are affecting the HR world, and HR professionals need to stay on top of trends and solutions to keep their businesses in the forefront.
One way you can stay on the leading edge of HR trends and hot topics is to read leading blogs by industry experts and professionals. To help you do just that, we have rounded up 50 of the must-read HR blogs online today. The blogs cover everything from recruiting and talent to technology and apps to give you the insights and information you need to excel in your HR position and help your company excel in creating and sustaining a superior workforce.
We have chosen blogs that are updated regularly and feature insights and analysis from leading HR voices, and we even threw in a few that provide some stress relief with an irreverent look at HR. To simplify your search process, we have listed our 50 best blogs for HR professionals in alphabetical order; thus, they are not rated or ranked in any way.
Janine Truitt is owner and Chief Innovations Officer for Talent Think Innovations, LLC and founder of The Aristocracy of HR. She shares her 10+ years of experience in HR and talent acquisition in blog posts, which date back to 2011 and center on talent management “triumphs, blunders, and best practices.” Readers will find monthly posts sharing relevant, thought-provoking commentary on all things HR at The Aristocracy of HR.
Three posts we like from The Aristocracy of HR:
- I Used to Love D&I: Why I’ve Fallen Out of Love with Diversity & Inclusion
- 6 HR Epiphanies Learned Through 6 Years of Blogging
- Five Ways Video Can Enhance Your Recruitment Process
Ask a Manager is a blog that offers a straightforward look at all things management from Alison Green, a former non-profit chief of staff turned management consultant. Alison shares her honesty and opinions in her posts to help managers establish a happy career and lead a happy life. While not specifically targeting human resources professionals, most will find Ask a Manager an informative read.
Three posts we like from Ask a Manager:
- my employee isn’t performing well – but is getting a ton of public praise
- can you have close work friendships when you’re in HR?
- employees who vent to HR but don’t want us to act on the information
Sarah Morgan is an HR professional and blogger. She started The Buzz on HR two years ago but has been an HR manager for nearly 20 years. Sarah’s posts center on management, leadership, and other human resources topics.
Three posts we like from The Buzz on HR:
Neil Morrison has worked in HR for 20 years and operates under the belief that HR professionals need to rethink the approach to people management and shift the focus to organizational needs from HR best practices. He pursues organization-centric solutions and blogs at Change-Effect.
Three posts we like from Change-Effect:
- Are you running a marathon, or becoming a marathon runner?
- When corporate culture goes bad
- Be a high performing team
China Gorman has spent more than 20 years in HR consulting and specializes in career transition, executive coaching, and leadership development at the local, regional, national, and global levels. She serves on a number of boards in the HR and education spaces and blogs about HR, employee engagement, HR data, HR analytics, and more at her self-titled blog.
Three posts we like from China Gorman:
- The Value of Purpose
- Internet Trends and the USA’s Income Statement
- What the Heck is Candidate Experience?
Christopher Demers focuses on employee relations, leadership coaching, and talent management when he consults in and blogs about human resources. His blog, ChristopherinHR, highlights his 30+ years of experience in managing people, as he writes about HR, leadership, management, and more in his posts.
Three posts we like from ChristopherinHR:
CIPHR delivers human resources software for storing employee data, handling payroll and recruitment, administering benefits, and keeping attendance records. They also share HR news and articles in their blog, which covers tips and advice for HR professionals.
Three posts we like from CIPHR Blog:
- Are You Recognising Your Employees?
- 12 Strategies to Attract Passive Talent
- Are Improved Workspaces the Key to Employee Productivity?
The DATIS HR Cloud provides a fully unified HR and payroll software to nonprofit and health and human services organizations. Their blog delivers thought leadership for health and human services organizations and centers on HR topics such as workforce management and leadership.
Three posts we like from DATIS HR Blog:
- How the Role of HR Has Changed
- Workforce Management of the Future
- Managing a Multi-Generaltional Workforce
EffortlessHR provides online HR software solutions for small business. Their blog covers hiring, employee issues and policies, management, training and development, and many other topics of interest to HR professionals.
Three posts we like from EffortlessHR Blog:
- Tips on How to Attract More Employees by Asking the Right Questions
- 5 Ways HR Managers Impact Company Culture
- HR’s Role in Building a Company Culture of Sustainability
Winston Benefits, a nationally recognized provider of voluntary benefit programs to medium and large employer groups, is an informative blog for HR professionals. Their posts include topics such as voluntary and employee benefits, employee benefits strategy, employee wellness, and recruiting.
Three posts we like from The Employee Benefits Blog:
- How Health Insurance Costs are Changing: SHRM’s 2017 Employee Benefits Report
- The Latest Trends in Vision Benefits
- New Study Shows Employers are Contributing More to HSAs
ERE Media is a go-to source for human resources, talent acquisition, and recruiting professionals. Their blog shares the latest HR, recruiting, and sourcing news in addition to tips and trends for human resources pros.
Three posts we like from ERE Media:
- 3 Steps to Building Better Managers
- The New New Thing: Blockchains and Recruiting
- Did You Mistakenly Reject a Star Candidate? Find Out by Tracking Their Success
Steve Browne, executive director of HR at LaRosa’s, Inc., is a strategic HR professional and blogger behind Everyday People. Steve specializes in employee relations, networking, and company culture, and he believes in working with executives to integrate HR across the organization to improve the company. His blog posts cover a range of topics and include advice and tips with a little bit of rock ‘n’ roll thrown in for good measure.
Three posts we like from Everyday People:
Suzanne Lucas is the Evil HR Lady working to “demystify your Human Resources Department, one question at a time.” Her blog confronts the theory that all HR people are evil and offers tips and advice to help HR professionals excel.
Three posts we like from Evil HR Lady:
- How to React When an Employee Accuses the Most Powerful Person in the Office of Sexual Harassment
- Engage in Monthly Health Plan Monitoring to Improve Engagement, Costs
- Corporate Team Building Activities that Actually Build Teams
Fistful of Talent is a group blog written by recruiters, HR professionals, managers, and consultants about all things talent. Topics cover hiring, candidate experience, company culture, negotiation, employee engagement, management, performance, and a whole host of other issues that are pertinent to today’s HR pros.
Three posts we like from Fistful of Talent:
- Why You Should Close Candidates on a Good Note (Even If You Know They’re Not Going to Get the Job)
- 3 Ways Recruiters Can Win with Storytelling
- HR’s New Motto: Memento Te Esse Iniuriam”
Formerly The Five O’Clock Club, GetFive continues to be the outplacement and career transition specialists. The GetFive blog addresses HR topics and strives to put the “human” back in human resources for companies and employees alike.
Three posts we like from GetFive:
- 4 Ways Companies Can Be Proactive About the Gender Pay Gap
- Top Trends in employee Benefits
- 3 Easy, Effective HR Strategies for Onboarding Employees Successfully
HR Bartender is authored by Sharlyn Lauby, an HR professional who now serves as a consultant. She created the blog “so people would have a friendly place to discuss workplace issues,” and her menu of topics covers employee engagement, HR law and legislation, recruiting and retention, strategy and planning, and a few other tasty treats.
Three posts we like from HR Bartender:
- Employee Coaching Works When It’s a Part of Company Culture
- Onboarding Is Your Foundation for the Employee Experience
- Organizations an Use Assessments to Bridge the Skills Gap
Founder of HR C-Suite, Tresha Moreland has turned it into a results-based HR education and publishing resource dedicated to connecting human resources with business results. The blog centers on HR strategy and creating an innovative workplace that fosters agility and productivity while delivering results.
Three posts we like from HR C-Suite:
- The Hazy World of HR Data Analytics and Data-Driven Decisions
- Employee Engagement: All About the Team
- 7 Simple Yet Effective Tips for Improving Your Workplace Culture
Kris Dunn, founder of Fistful of Talent, also is the HR professional behind The HR Capitalist. Dunn’s posts cover compensation, culture, performance management, recruiting, retention, and a host of other topics, and he puts his own spin on those topics at times by blending them current affairs and sports.
Three posts we like from The HR Capitalist:
- Snoop Dogg, Lonzo Ball and Having a Favorite Direct Report on Your Team
- Tesla: Now the Most Interesting Workplace Culture in the World…
- Candidates Who Try to Cheat the Behavioral Interview are Actually Doing You a Favor…
HR Daily Advisor delivers practical human resources tips, news, and advice and is updated daily. The blog showcases recent and popular posts and covers everything from skills of HR management to conflict resolution.
Three posts we like from HR Daily Advisor:
- HR’s Priorities Not Aligned with Company Executives’, Finds Mercer Study
- Workers Willing to Compromise on Salary for the Right Benefits, Culture, and Growth Opportunities
- A Talent Pool That Many Companies Neglect: Employees with Disabilities
John Sumser is principal analyst at the HRExaminer, an analysis and publishing house that focuses on HR technology. The team examines that state of HR Tech and shares their findings with readers by providing “an up-to-date, cutting edge point of view designed to make our audience think.” HRExaminer puts readers at the intersection of technology and HR practice, not only with their articles, but also with their reports and HRExaminer Radio episodes.
Three posts we like from HRExaminer:
- Trending Now
- HRExaminer Radio – Executive Conversations: Episode #250: Lisa Sterling
- What’s Humanity Got To Do With It?
The HR Gazette provides commentary on HR technology, talent, performance, learning, strategy, and leadership. Their posts include opinion, analysis, news, and reviews from some of the best HR and management professionals and expert contributors from around the United States. If you’re a podcast fan who likes to listen to the latest news and insights on your daily commute, you’ll also find some links to HRchat podcasts among the articles.
Three posts we like from The HR Gazette:
- Are You Living and Leading a Positive Office Culture?
- Talent Acquisition: How to Attract the Best?
- Hiring the Perfect Person for Your Company Every Time
HR Hardball is the blog of John Whitaker, who builds top-notch recruiting teams and “believes in the physics of HR.” John focuses on talent acquisition strategies and specializes in change in the workplace, and his blog posts cover a range of HR categories, including corporate culture, diversity, and management.
Three posts we like from HR Hardball:
- Are You Pushing Your Top Talent Away?
- Energizing Employees for Better Performance
- TeamWORK or TeamBUILDING?
HR Morning provides a daily dose of news, opinions, and knowledge for HR professionals. HR Morning also delivers the latest HR and employment law news tailored to small to medium-sized businesses. Readers get actionable insights to gain a better understanding of the impact of HR trends on your business.
Three posts we like from HR Morning:
- Study: What HR Actually Does vs. What Employees Expect HR To Do
- Do Employers Take Hourly Workers for Granted? 3 Ways to Prevent Engagement Problems
- Why Employee Engagement Matters – and 4 Ways to Build It Up
HR Payroll Systems helps companies find the right software for your business. Their Human Resources Blog provides educational and entertaining posts for HR professionals and cover topics including employee relations, leadership, and HR technology, among others.
Three posts we like from The HR Payroll Systems Blog:
- 5 Ways to Inspire Creativity in the Workplace
- Questions to Consider Before Making a Hiring Decision
- Why Should You Focus on Employee Autonomy?
Helen Tracey is a senior lecturer in human resources at Northumbria University. She researches older employment, the aging workforce, and social class, and she blogs to provide insight into HR from her more than 16 years of experience as an HR professional and her academic work.
Three posts we like from HR Potential:
HR reMix is the blog of Melissa Fairman, SPHR. A business leader specializing in HR, Melissa is interested in the ways in which people, work, culture, law, and technology fit together for HR pros, their companies, and their employees.
Three posts we like from HR reMix:
- #HRTailgate: How to Be an HR Social Media Rock Star
- The Change We Need In HR Is Customer Service
- How to Foster an Inclusive Culture
VP of global HCM strategy and product management at Infor, Trish McFarlane is the woman behind HR Ringleader. This blog for HR professionals covers a range of topics, from benefits and employee engagement, to leadership and team building.
Three posts we like from HR Ringleader:
- 3 Ways to Become a More Modern Leader: Culture, Technology, Innovation
- User Experience & Artificial Intelligence in HR Technology
- Owning Engagement in Your Workplace
HR Vendor News is powered by HRmarketer.com. The blog delivers breaking news from companies offering products and services to HR departments and covers general HR topics, HR technology, talent management and employee relations, and more topics for HR professionals.
Three posts we like from HR Vendor News:
- HR’s Use of AI Will Skyrocket Over the Next Five Years, According to New Study
- Seven Out of 10 Business Executives Agree Their Organizations Would Benefit from HR Teams Made Up of Professionals with Certifications
- 2017 Manufacturing and Distribution Results Now Available: Pay Increases Stagnant, Turnover on the Rise
HRZone is a leading community for HR professionals. Delivering news, opinions, and insights into human resources, HRZone covers engagement, performance, talent, and other industry hot topics in their blog posts. They offer helpful resources, too.
Three posts we like from HRZone:
- Why Diversity Initiatives Fail
- “That’s Not Fair!” When Individual Deals Challenge the Fairness in Teams
- Why It’s Time to Scale Your Social Calendar for Talent Acquisition
Human Resource Executive Online focuses on strategic issues in HR. Geared toward vice presidents and directors of human resources, HREOnline delivers news, profiles of HR experts, and innovations in HR that cover talent management, benefits, HR information systems, employment law, and more.
Three posts we like from Human Resource Executive Online:
Josh Bersin is founder and principal at Bersin by Deloitte. He also is a global research analyst, public speaker, and writer on topics of corporate HR, talent management, recruiting, leadership, and technology, among other topics. Josh shares his HR expertise and insights in his self-titled blog.
Three posts we like from Josh Bersin Blog:
- The New Disrupted World of Work: Seven Practices for High-Impact HR
- AI, Robotics, and Cognitive Computing are Changing Business Faster Than You Thought
- The Future of Work: It’s Already Here… And Not As Scary As You Think
Lance Haun is an HR and recruiting professional who now serves as Practice Leader for The Starr Conspiracy. He continues to blog about work, life, and technology on his self-titled blog, which also contains the archives from his previous blog, YourHRGuy.com.
Three posts we like from Lance Haun:
- 10 Years Later: The Best of YourHRGuy.com
- It’s Okay to Kill Your Company Culture, Especially If It Sucks
- Encourage Jury Service
Founder and CEO of Leute Management Services, LLC, Tom Bolt is an HR consultant who specializes in sourcing and recruiting. He also blogs at Make HR Happen and focuses on “re-humanizing talent acquisition and management.” Tom covers a range of topics in his posts, including best practices in HR, recruiting, management, and culture.
Three posts we like from Make HR Happen by Tom Bolt:
Mike Haberman is a human resources consultant helping small businesses solve their people problems. With more than 30 years of experience in HR, Mike is a practitioner and consultant who co-founded Omega HR Solutions. He shares his knowledge and experience with readers of his blog posts, which cover a range of topics such as workplace morale, work relationships and teams, and performance management.
Three posts we like from Omega HR Solutions Blog:
- Three Monday Morning HR Lessons: Learning from the Bad Judgment of Others
- Giveaway & Contest Ideas to Improve Workplace Morale
- 5 Ways to Tear Down Department Silos and Unify Your Organization
Jennifer Miller is a freelance writer who covers leadership, careers, and workplace trends. She also is the woman behind The People Equation, a blog focusing on workplace dynamics, or the ways in which people interact in the workplace. She writes to help readers master the people equation in order to determine how to lead everyone in the organization to career success in a positive, respectful way.
Three posts we like from The People Equation:
- Is Failure to Speak Up Impeding Your Team’s Productivity?
- Our Egos Are a Problem at Work. But Not in the Way You Think.
- When Leaders Hold on Too Tightly Employee Engagement Suffers
Robin Schooling is an HR executive and strategist on a mission to humanize human resources. She strives to improve organizations by improving HR, and she focuses on connecting individual’s talents and capabilities to organizational success. Her blog posts provide a realistic look into HR and feature her no-holds-barred style while providing insights that only a practicing HR expert can.
Three posts we like from Robin Schooling Blog:
- Looking’ for HR Love in All the Wrong Places
- Happiness and Engagement: Can’t We All Get Along?
- It’s OK. I’m With the Band (recruiting edition)
Sterling Talent Solutions gives organizations hiring peace of mind by delivering a simpler, smarter background screening and on boarding experience for employees around the globe. Their HR blog covers topics such as candidate experience, on boarding, re-screening employees, HR technology, and more.
Three posts we like from Sterling Talent Solutions Blog:
- HR Tech Spotlights Smarter Technology for Human Resources
- Onboarding Isn’t Just Day One: Creating a 30/60/90 Day Plan
- The Corporate Culture Fit Factor
As the HR Technology Conference co-chair, co-host of the HR Happy Hour Show and Podcast, Fistful of Talent contributor, and HR Executive Magazine columnist, Steve Boese knows more than a thing or two about HR. He shares his insights and opinions on all things HR in his HR Technology blog, which dates back to 2008.
Three posts we like from Steve Boese’s HR Technology:
- How Important is Knowing the Product for a New Hire?
- A Reminder That Any ‘Skills Gap’ is Also an Employer’s Problem to Solve
- For Anyone Building or Implementing AI for HR or Hiring
Jon Ingham is a consultant, trainer, and speaker in strategic, innovative, and technology-enabled HR. He also is the author of The Social Organization and the blogger behind the Strategic HCM Blog. He focuses on innovative strategies in people management, and his blog posts cover HR strategy, the role of HR, talent management, engagement, and many other topics of interest to HR professionals.
Three posts we like from Strategic HCM Blog:
- Future Models of HR
- So How Do You Know If You’re a Business Partner?
- Reward Gamification in Talent Management
Alan Collins, founder of Success in HR, is the author of Unwritten HR Rules and the former VP of HR at PepsiCo. He shares ideas, insights, and inspiration for HR professionals in his blog posts in the hopes that readers can take their careers and impact on organizations to the next level.
Three posts we like from Success in HR:
- What’s Your Biggest HR Career Mistake? Here’s Mine
- What Is Your HR Super Power? Here are the Seven in Most Demand by Today’s Business Leaders
- HR Professionals: How You Can Survive Being Merged or Acquired by Another Company
TalentCulture is at the intersection of talent and culture. A social community/workplace, TalentCulture connects and engages professionals who prioritize the human side of business. Their blog posts feature insights and opinions from bright minds in business, digital, and HR and provide commentary on trends and relevant issues ranging from leadership development to workplace culture and talent management and HR technology.
Three posts we like from TalentCulture:
- Midlife Employees – The Gold Standard of Employment
- Launching Competitive Opportunities in Talent Acquisition
- Seven Things CEOs Need to Know About Millennials
MongoDB global talent acquisition and diversity leader and founder of Recruiters.Network, Jason Buss is the man behind the TalentHQ blog. Jason has 22 years of HR and talent acquisition leadership experience and is a recognized expert in identifying, recruiting, and hiring high-perofmrng teams. He shares his expertise in his blog posts, which cover HR, recruiting, on boarding, talent management, and other topics that HR professionals want to know more about.
Three posts we like from TalentHQ:
- 4 New ways to Help Analyze Talent Pools
- Transforming Onboarding to Help Maximize Success
- Remote Employees: Cracking the Culture Code
Alex Kjerulf is the founder and chief happiness officer of Woohoo Inc., an international speaker, and author of four books including the bestselling Happy Hour is 9 to 5. He blogs about leadership, happiness at work, attracting top talent, and much more.
Three posts we like from The Chief Happiness Officer Blog:
- Kill the Suggestion Box – There’s a Much Better Way
- How Always Being Busy Kills Productivity – And 5 Ways to Avoid It
- Leading With Happiness
HR and recruiting talent professional Tim Sackett is president at HRU Technical Resources who believes “the most important thing an organization can do is increase its core talent base.” He started The Tim Sackett Project to share his thoughts on HR and recruiting, but he warns readers that he’s terrible at grammar. We think you can overlook that flaw because the insights are too valuable to miss.
Three posts we like from The Tim Sackett Project:
- Does Your Annual Review Process Include Terminations?
- HR Technology is Outpacing Leadership Skill #HRTechConf
- Turns Out, Employees Don’t Actually Leave Managers!
TINYpulse provides software tools for businesses that want to keep employees happy and engaged. The company is on the leading-edge of employee engagement, and HR professionals would be wise to bookmark their Employee Engagement & Company Culture blog.
Three posts we like from TINYpulse Employee Engagement & Company Culture Blog:
- Creating a Company Culture of Continuous Listening
- 5 Companies with Strong Employee Retention Strategies
- 5-Point Checklist for Effective Employee Onboarding
Billed as “the fastest growing website in HR space,” TLNT focuses on the business of HR and shares news, trends, insight, and analysis for HR and talent management. Blog posts cover retention, leadership, workforce strategy, and more.
Three posts we like from TLNT:
- Hire Well, Treat People Right and You Too Can Have 100% Retention
- Employee Recognition Can Help You Find New Leaders
- 5 Steps to Selecting a High Value Predictive Workforce Project
Associate professor at St. Norbert college and advisor to SNC SHRM, Matt Stollak blogs about the intersection of HR theory and practice at True Faith HR. His posts cover engagement, HR technology, job satisfaction, leadership, performance, recruiting, talent, and many other topics of interest to HR professionals.
Three posts we like from True Faith HR:
- Could You Scout Talent 24/78 365 Days a Year? #8ManRotation
- Sign of a Strong Employment Brand? Candidates Doing the Recruiting
- Is Looking at GPA Lazy HR? The Role of Grade Inflation
Former HR executive, executive recruiter, and executive coach, Jennifer McClure is a full-time professional speaker and business advisor who helps leaders “embrace the future of work and leverage their influence to create positive, lasting change in and through their organizations.” She shares posts on the Unbridled Talent blog twice a month and focuses on influence, leadership, and personal development.
Three posts we like from Unbridled Talent:
- 6 Tips to Build Influence and Get Your Ideas Heard
- How HR, Recruiters, and Job Seekers Can Prepare for the Future of Work
- How Does a CHRO Add Value In an Organization?
Ben Eubanks is a podcaster, analyst at Lighthouse Research, and HR blogger at upstartHR. He focuses on leadership and culture while “making HR better, one HR pro at a time.” If you’re looking for an HR blog that is updated regularly and features tips, trends, and insight, upstartHR is for you.
Three posts we like from upstartHR:
- 7 Lessons on Creating a Powerful Employee Experience
- 3 Keys to Creating Engaging Learning Experiences
- 2017 Recruitment Trends for HR Leaders
Women of HR is a community dedicated to the development of women in HR and business. Readers will get information, have the opportunity to discuss the issues impacting your life, and become part of a collaborative community of HR professionals when you begin reading Women of HR. The experts behind Women of HR include Lisa Rosendahl, Trish McFarlane, Shauna Moerke, Jennifer Payne, Sarah White, Charee Klimek, Lance Haun, and Lyn Hoyt.
Three posts we like from Women of HR:
- What it Takes to Become a CHRO
- How Learning & Development Can Boost Your Hiring Success Rate
- Accommodating the Needs of Parents Who are Shift Workers
Categories Human Resources
Angela Stringfellow is a writer with 10+ years of experience. She focuses on news, trends, and insights in marketing, business, and technology.