In the age of the gig economy, short-term positions, on-demand positions, and freelance work reign supreme. One study by Intuit predicts that by 2020, 40% of American workers will be independent contractors. The reason? The workforce is becoming mobile as the digital age empowers workers to complete a job from anywhere. Freelancers can choose jobs or projects from anywhere in the world, and employers have access to a wider pool of workers who are qualified for specific projects.
Another reason the gig economy has come into play is that people now change jobs and enjoy having the flexibility of choosing when and where to work. They also enjoy the freedom of improving their work-life balance by being more in control of their work schedules. Businesses also benefit because they can hire workers to fill gaps and freelancers who are too expensive to hire permanently.
But, the gig economy only works when individuals and businesses, or individuals and potential clients and customers, can connect quickly and easily. That’s where gig economy apps come in. By downloading these apps to a mobile device, workers have hundreds or even thousands of potential jobs at their fingertips, just as prospective clients and customers have access to a wide pool of workers waiting to fulfill a need for them, such as giving them a ride or purchasing and delivering their groceries. Businesses also use these platforms to connect with potential workers and select those that are best suited to their needs.
As the gig economy grows, so does the number of apps. We’ve chosen 50 of the best based on user reviews, leading technology site recommendations, ease of use, quality of available positions, and the screening and onboarding processes the platforms use for new workers. The majority of the apps we have chosen also have mobile apps available for use on iOS and Android devices. Please note, we have listed our 50 best gig economy apps below in alphabetical order to make your search process easier; thus, the apps are not ranked or rated in any way.
An on-demand staffing platform, Wonolo helps job seekers work on your own terms. Connect with immediate hourly or same-day jobs from some of the biggest and best brands so you can work when, where, and for whomever you desire.
- Work at times and locations that are convenient for you
- Land jobs without completing a tedious resume or application, and don’t worry about attending an interview
- When you find a job that fits you, tap to accept and go to work
- When you complete a job, you get a rating and get paid the same day; the higher your rating, the more jobs you will receive
Amazon Flex gives people ages 21 and older the opportunity to set your own schedule while making $18 – $25 an hour. Workers enjoy having flexible hours while being able to choose opportunities any day of the week to work. Please note, the app is available for download
- Easily track earnings using the Amazon Flex app
- Schedule ahead or pick up blocks of available time
- If Amazon Flex is not available yet in your area, join the waitlist to be informed of opportunities in your area as they become available
- Let Amazon know when you want to make deliveries
Download: Please note, the app is available for download from the Get Started page after you enter information about your delivery location
If you are at least 18 years old and are physically able and strong, you can start earning money by providing friendly local moving services. Bellhops are professional and provide exceptional service while making moving day less stressful for customers.
- Connects DIY movers with handpicked Bellhops who are happy to do the heavy lifting
- Customers sign up in minutes and book as much help as needed
- Bellhops claim jobs and view details using a smartphone
- Find, claim, and track moving appointments
- Select and submit preferred service areas from the map to get jobs where you want to work
- Control your max preferred lead time to be informed of and get assigned jobs in advance
Care.com gives you the opportunity to provide child care, adult and senior care, pet care, and home care to customers who are looking for caregivers in your area. Caregivers simply create a free profile and search for jobs quickly and easily using a laptop, desktop, or mobile device.
- Easily create an account and create a profile listing your skills and talents
- Add photos and more to make your profile stand out to land more jobs
- Search for jobs anywhere, anytime
- Apply for jobs and get paid easily by signing up for direct deposit
Gig economy workers can deliver food in your city while earning extra cash with the Caviar app. Work whenever you want by becoming a courier and earning up to $25/hour. You will deliver food from local restaurants to homes and offices as long as you have a car, truck, bike, scooter, or motorcycle, are 18 years or older, and have a smartphone to use the mobile Caviar app.
- Flexible schedule
- Money is deposited directly to your bank account every week
- Work as a driver on weekdays or weekends or both
- Get compensated for each successful delivery with a task-based fee
Even fashion lovers can get in on the gig economy with Closet Collective. If you have designer pieces, you can make extra cash by renting them out using one of three easy listing options: free concierge service, white glove service, or the DIY listing forum.
- Receive an email when someone requests a rental from your closet
- Print the prepaid label from your email, attach it to the provided shipping bag, and mail your package from any USPS mailbox
- Payments and dry-cleaning are taken care of
- 100% insured for the full retail value during the rental period
- Receive a rental price for each item before it is listed
- List designer clothing, shoes, bags, and accessories that have a minimum retail value of approximately $200
- Rent a single piece or sign up for a membership
- Membership, 3 rentals/month: $99
- Membership, 5 rentals/month: $150
- Rent out your items free of charge
CrowdFlower is a unique app for data scientists and machine learning team members who want to become contributors and complete simple tasks from the comfort of your own home. With a computer and an internet connection, you can work at your own pace and choose the tasks you want to complete on your own time while making some extra money.
- Provides tasks for everyone, from mathematicians and statisticians, to psychologists, entrepreneurs, and information systems engineers
- Earn money by completing simple tasks at home
- Simply sign up for an account and begin contributing
- Access more advanced tasks by becoming a skilled contributor; you can earn more money and access more tasks by doing so
Cost: FREE for contributors
Dolly is a gig economy app that gives workers the chance to load, haul, and deliver on your schedule while making money. All Dolly independent contractors undergo background checks and are backed by commercial insurance policies.
- Become a Helper if you have a pickup truck, box truck, or cargo van and can lift more than 75 pounds while making $30/hour or more
- Become a Hand if you don’t have a vehicle but can lift more than 75 pounds and want to assist Helpers while making $15/hour or more
- Get paid each week for the previous week’s activity
- See a guaranteed pay amount before deciding to request a job
- Choose your work schedule and accept jobs that suit you
DoorDash is a food delivery app that helps Dashers deliver food from top restaurants to customers in your area. Start delivering on your own time to make extra cash.
- Dashers undergo background checks after being approved and onboarded
- Get tailored assistance with deliveries and track order status
- Choose when to work by delivering breakfast, lunch, or dinner
- Available in more than 450 cities throughout the US and Canada
Etsy provides a marketplace for people to sell their handmade, vintage, or creative goods online. You can connect with nearly 30 million buyers who spent close to $3 billion last year when you choose to sell with this gig economy app.
- Fees include $0.20 listing fee, 3.5% transaction fee, and 3% + $0.25 payment processing with secure Etsy Payments
- Items remain actively listed for four months or until they sell
- Automatic deposits
- Seller protection
- Take advantage of powerful tools and services to manage and grow your business
- Etsy support specialists are available to help anytime
- No monthly fees
Fancy Hands seeks to provide assistants for everyone. You can apply to be an assistant and accept tasks on your own timetable. When you begin, you’ll get paid per task with consideration for how long it takes you to complete it, what time of day it is, and how complicated the task is.
- Requires only a fast internet connection and the ability to use common websites and software
- Opportunities for promotion to managerial-type positions
- Get paid every other week on Tuesday via Dwolla
- Choose your own hours
Favor is a gig economy app that puts you in charge of your work hours when you choose to be a Runner. Set your own hours and get the chance to explore your city when you start earning cash with the Favor app. Get started here.
- Enjoy being more of a personal assistant than a delivery driver
- Keep 100% of your tips
- All scheduled hours have minimum guaranteed earnings, and most Runners average between $10-$18/hour
- Make more money by referring your friends to be Runners
Feastly is a unique gig economy app designed to connect chefs with eaters looking for more intimate, home-cooked meals. With Feastly, you get to show off your cooking skills, host dinner parties, and get paid to share your love of food with customers who are happy to pay for a unique experience.
- Chefs range from home cooks to Michelin-starred chefs
- Chefs are verified and undergo an extensive vetting process
- Chefs are protected up to $1,000,000
- Host your feast weekly or multiple times per week
Cost: 10% service and processing fee added to the meal price set by the cook, and Feastly retains 12% of the chef’s set meal price
Fiverr provides freelance services for lean entrepreneurs. This gig economy app is renowned for its affordability and ease of use. Freelancers from copywriters to digital marketers easily fill their work schedules with clients from around the globe.
- 116 different service categories
- Trusted by more than 11 million businesses and entrepreneurs
- Browse millions of gigs
- Get paid on time every time
- Join for free – no subscription required or fees for listing services
- Keep 80% of each transaction
Freelancer.com is the world’s largest freelancing and crowdsourcing marketplace with more than 25 million users. Connect to employers and find work from anywhere while doing what you love by serving as a freelancer.
- Work from home or anywhere you choose
- Flexible work schedule
- Global base of employers
- Set up a free account and then browse available jobs and bid on projects that match your skills
- Bid on work anywhere, any time using the mobile app
- Communicate using instant messenger
Gigwalk makes it easy for you to find jobs within your area whenever it’s convenient for you. To become a Gigwalker, download the app, register your account by answering a few questions and providing an email address, link your account to PayPal to get paid, and begin accepting work from organizations looking for eager workers.
- Gigs available in the US and Canada
- All payments made through PayPal
- Submit your work directly in the app
- Choose when and how much you want to work
- No timesheet or email required; simple reporting is done through the app
Grubhub is a gig economy app that gives drivers the chance to deliver food in your area and on the schedule you want to have. If you have a driver’s license and car insurance or a bike and state ID and a bank account, you can apply and start making extra money as a Grubhub driver.
- Earn competitive pay
- Keep 100% of your tips
- Flexible hours so you can create the schedule that works for you
- More orders and opportunities to earn than any other order platform
Handy is the gig economy app for cleaners and handymen. Clients who want assistance around the house will connect with you using the web or an iOS or Android device, and you can start earning up to $22/hour as a cleaner or $45/hour as a handyman.
- Choose when to work and how much
- Payments deposited directly into your account as soon as the job is complete
- Find customers more easily and quickly and rest assured you will get paid
- Services include handyman, plumbing, electrical, and cleaning
You can become a tech for HelloTech and begin earning money on your own time. Specifically for customers who need help with technology, this gig economy app gives you the opportunity to provide tech support on your own schedule after you complete a basic skills assessment to prove your abilities.
- Jobs paid on a per-service basis, and payments range from approximately $30 to $90
- Get paid twice a week, on Monday and Thursday, via PayPal
- Choose your own hours and take jobs whenever and wherever you want
- Techs: FREE to apply and become a tech
- Online Tech Support Plan: $9.99/month or $99/year
- Basic Tech Support Plan: $11.99/month plus $79 set-up fee or $199/year
- Premium Tech Support Plan: $19.98/month plus $79 set-up fee or $299/year
You can offer your home as a place for others to stay with HomeAway. Make money renting your home using the app that reaches travelers in 190 countries across more than 50 dedicated sites.
- Control your prices, availability, and the guests who stay at your property
- Best-in-class reservation tools for setting your rates and managing reservations
- Make it easier to decide to sign up to rent your property by estimating how much you could earn after you enter the number of bedrooms and bathrooms your property has and the number of people it can sleep
- Earn rental income without too much effort
Created by moms, HopSkipDrive is a ridesharing solution for kids. You can become a CareDriver and get a chance to spend some time with some awesome kids while making money at the same time.
- All CareDrivers must pass a 15-point certification process with a minimum of five years of childcare experience and become members of the TrustLine registry
- Make up to $30/hour
- Set your own schedule and accept rides that work for you based on your location
- Know how much you will be paid before accepting a driving job
- Get paid weekly
- Comprehensive insurance coverage provided with no deductible
- Earn incremental bonuses for each new family you get to try HopSkipDrive
Hubstaff makes time tracking for remote team management easier. Hubstaff Talent is the solution for connecting the best remote talent to companies looking for freelancers and independent contractors. Workers can start a profile free of charge and fees while providing details about your skills and availability to land a job with someone who needs your services.
- No bidding, so you can spend time working rather than wasting time bidding for jobs
- Find consistent, reliable, remote work from thousands of top companies
- Upload your resume and link to your other profiles to get even greater exposure
- Find full or part-time
Instacart gives you the opportunity to deliver groceries to people in your area. You can become an Instacart shopper and earn money shopping for and delivering groceries to customers while setting your own schedule.
- Apply in fewer than five minutes
- Be independent and work your shopping time into your life
- Get paid weekly
- Work Sundays to maximize your hours and pay
- Choose to work as a part-time employee/shopper with no vehicle required and work up to 29 hours per week or choose to work as an independent contractor/driver with a vehicle and work unlimited hours
Juno is a gig economy app for ridesharing. Drivers working with Juno benefit from a low commission and a long pickup bonus for certain rides.
- 24/7 support
- 10% commission for New York City drivers; 10.5% commission for drivers outside of NYC for a limited time with advanced registration
- Referral bonuses
- Live phone, email, and text support
Lyft is an app that matches drivers with passengers and enables payment automatically. Drivers enjoy being your own boss and keeping 100% of your tips.
- Earn and keep the whole amount of your tips
- Increased Prime Time pricing during peak hours to earn even more money
- Provides additional insurance policies at no cost to drivers
- Drivers have the opportunity to rate passengers
Moonlighting is a gig economy app for freelance workers. You can browse local or remote jobs and services and get hired faster with Moonlighting. Not sure you want a job? Chat instantly before you accept it.
- Ideal for getting your freelance work or small business discovered
- No need to purchase leads, and no commission fee
- Receive real-time alerts about new jobs
- Quickly send proposals, work out pricing, and get hired through Chat
- Get paid on time by safely connecting to your bank
If you have a fine home in London, Paris, New York, Miami, LA, or Rome, onefinestay is a gig economy app tailored to you. Known for hospitality, unparalleled levels of service, and stays in the finest homes, onefinestay is a solution for homeowners who want to share their homes in a safe, secure way that includes complete service with marketing, insurance, cleaning, management, and maintenance.
- Guest identity verification
- Ensure guests obey your house rules
- Home preparation with toiletries, bed linen, and cleaning after guests have gone
- Complete a simple homeowner questionnaire in two minutes to apply
Download: iTunes – FREE
If you own an airplane and want to take advantage of the gig economy, OpenAirplane makes it simple to do so. You can rent your plane to well-qualified pilots and get paid for the use of your plane to reduce the amount of time it sits idle.
- Listing is free
- Subsidize your costs
- Affordable insurance
- Get paid quickly and easily
- Keep 90% of your rental income
Cost: Contact for a quote and for mobile app access
PeoplePerHour is an online marketplace for freelance work. With this gig economy app, you can sell your services in one of four ways: create a profile that buyers cannot pass up, search for jobs and send a direct proposal, get started quickly with an Hourlie post including a 30-second video, or search for contests and submit an entry.
- Use your WorkStream for communicating, sharing, invoicing, and getting paid
- Get reviewed for your work
- Easily send a new proposal from the WorkStream
Cost: Contact for a quote
Postmates gives workers the ability to earn money delivering for restaurants and stores in your community. Find jobs and work as much as you want to make as much as you want with this gig economy app.
- Walk, drive, scoot, or bike
- Build your own schedule
- Earn up to $25/hour plus tips
Prefer gives service professionals and clients a place to find one another and work together. Build relationships and gain more work based on your reputation as your clients refer you to their friends.
- Designed for independent professionals of all types
- Invite clients to book and recommend you on Prefer for even more referrals
- Avoid bidding and anonymous reviews; rather, build your career on strong relationships
- Offer online bookings and payments to save your clients (and yourself) time
Rentah makes it easy for you to rent out your goods and services to earn money. You choose what to rent within your community, and you set the value of your items while renting on your schedule.
- Choose your listing price
- Manage your Rentah experience from one place using the Rentah Dashboard
- Edit and personalize your Rentah profile
- Quickly change prices, descriptions, and locations for your listings
- Input your bank and credit card information to handle deposits easily
- Invite friends and share Rentah’s standard 5% commission with the company 50/50 forever
- iTunes – Coming Soon
- Google Play – Coming Soon
Roadie is a fast, inexpensive, and simple way for people to get their stuff where it needs to be. Roadie drivers choose the jobs you want to create the schedule you want while earning cash.
- Know exact pick-up and drop-off locations before accepting a job
- Choose which deliveries to make and set your own schedule
- No minimum vehicle standards; earn cash and rewards regardless of what you drive
- Get discounts and special savings including roadside assistance and free Waffle House
- Get gig alerts on your smartphone
Rover is a gig economy app that gives you the opportunity to spend time with four-legged friends and earn cash. You can be a pet sitter in your own home, a dog walker, or a house sitter, or you can provide drop-in visits while the pet owner is away.
- Get the freedom to choose your schedule, services, and rates
- Automatic, secure payments
- Insurance for dogs in your care
- Access to 24/7 support and veterinary assistance
- Resources and opportunities to help you grow your business
Deliver fresh groceries from a local store to customers in your area and earn cash while you’re at it with Shipt. Ideal for reliable, independent people, Shipt lets you set your own schedule and be your own boss.
- Enjoy flexible scheduling
- Become part of a growing startup
- Make up to $25/hour
If you want to be an hourly worker and have the freedom to do the jobs you want when you want, Snagajob is the gig economy app for you. Search full-time or part-time restaurant, retail, customer service, security, administrative, and seasonal jobs in your area and choose those that match based on compatibility and personality.
- Targeted search with location, keywords, and more
- Search entry-level and part-time jobs, even those that are geared toward students and teens
- Save job searches and get email updates when new jobs matching your search post
Spare5 is a gig economy app for earning extra money in your spare time. Choose which small, fun tasks you want to complete, such as adding keywords to images, outlining faces in photos, categorizing videos, and more.
- Help companies get better data and train machine learning and AI technologies
- Get paid via PayPal
- Link your social profiles to ensure tasks match your experience and interests
- Complete sample tasks to learn more and grow your reputation and advance task levels to earn experience points; level up to gain early task access and earn higher pay
Download: iTunes – FREE
SpareHire is an app for on-demand finance and consulting work. If you have at least two years of professional work experience in investment banking, management consulting, private equity, venture capital, corporate development, or related fields, SpareHire is for you.
- Complete short-term projects that fit into your schedule
- Grow your professional networks
- Improve work-life balance
- Keep 75% of your payment
Cost: Contact for a quote
If you have an extra spot, you can rent it and easily earn some additional income with SpotHero. Simply fill out a form to rent your parking space to drivers looking for a place to park in your area.
- You set the pricing of your spot
- Reach thousands of drivers
- Receive a monthly check or deposit for your parking spot
- Earn extra income effortlessly
Offer hauling, cleaning, handyman, or other services to people in your area with Takl. When you become a provider, you set your schedule and use your skills to help locals complete their jobs and household chores.
- Become a provider after completing six registration steps
- View all available chores and make yourself available to work using the mobile app
- When you earn a job, navigate to the address, finish the job, and receive payment directly to your account
- Add your skills by choosing from 12 categories
TaskEasy enables you to complete lawn care tasks for homeowners and property managers in your area. Get more new customers who want to hire and pay you rather than leads or bid requests that may not turn into extra income.
- Fast payments
- Free sign-up for contractors
- Manage your schedule and upload before and after photos of your job using the mobile app
- Useful tools for scheduling customers, collecting payments, and more
- Use your own general liability insurance or TaskEasy’s for as low as $2.10/task
TaskRabbit gives you the opportunity to tackle home projects for local community members. When you become a Tasker, you can serve as a handyman, assemble furniture, mount televisions, provide moving assistance, and more.
- Find jobs you love and choose your rates to make extra cash
- Create a schedule that fits your life
- Get notified of potential nearby jobs
- Complete the work and submit an invoice
Whether you want to make some extra money to pay off your car sooner or to pad your savings account, you can make your financial goals a reality with Turo. This gig economy app empowers you to make your car work for you by renting it.
- List your car in as few as 10 minutes
- Allow the app to set your car’s rental price based on market value, location, time of year and other data or you can manually set your own daily price
- Get paid by direct deposit within five days
- Earn 65%-85% of the trip price depending on the vehicle package you choose
- Use your own commercial rental insurance and waive Turo’s vehicle protection to earn more of the trip price
- List your car for free and don’t worry about monthly fees or buying in
A gig economy app for ride sharing, Uber gives you the opportunity to drive when you want and earn as much as you want. Drive with Uber anytime, day or night, year-round and earn more with longer trips and when demand is higher than normal.
- Set your own schedule
- Trip fares begin with a base amount and increase with time and distance
- Get turn-by-turn directions, tools for earning more, and 24/7 support
- Simply open the app to start receiving trip requests and get information about riders and directions to their location or destination
The largest freelancing website, Upwork helps freelancers connect with businesses. You will have the chance to connect with more clients and run and grow your freelance business when you sign up to be a freelancer with Upwork.
- Choose your clients and projects as the app highlights ideal jobs
- Search projects and respond to client invitations
- A wide variety of available jobs with high pay
- Gradually increase your likelihood of being hired by more Upwork clients as you successfully complete projects
- All invoices and payments fall under Upwork Payment Protection to help ensure you get paid for work successfully completed through the website
- Freelancer fees are based on a sliding scale dependent upon your lifetime billings with clients across all hourly and fixed-price contracts
Vacation Rentals by Owner (VRBO) helps you keep your vacation rental up and running even when you aren’t there by renting it to others who are looking for a touch of home when they travel. Pegged the most popular vacation rental site in the US, VRBO is part of the HomeAway family.
- Keep your property’s calendar up to date and manage bookings with a few taps
- Receive notifications for new inquiries and reservation requests
- Manage conversations with potential guests and keep their details in one place
- Send payment requests and receive payments securely
Wingz is the gig economy app that helps you become riders’ favorite driver. This peer-to-peer marketplace helps personal drivers earn extra cash by driving full or part time, managing your own schedule, and accepting only the rides you want to provide.
- Rides are pre-scheduled, door-to-door, and flat-rate
- Passengers can rebook you when you become their favorite
- Payments and tips are processed by credit card
- Provide airport rides, rides for seniors, or rides to and from events
A community-driven hospitality company, Airbnb enables homeowners to offer their homes and unique experiences to travelers. Monetize your extra space and earn some extra income as a host using the app to list your home for prospective travelers to search by price, neighborhood, amenities, and more.
- Share your space and earn extra money
- Update listings and calendar availability quickly and easily
- Message guests and manage reservations from within the app
YourMechanic is a gig economy app that gives expert automotive technicians the chance to connect with customers at their home or office. Become a mechanic for YourMechanic and enjoy the freedom of setting your own flexible hours and making better pay than you would at a shop or car dealership.
- You choose your hours; work evenings, weekends, or full time if you wish
- Make $40-$50/hour and get paid fairly every time
- Choose the type of job, location, and time to work
- Basic repair and maintenance work without any complex jobs like engine overhauls or major transmission work
- Let the app handle marketing, booking appointments, delivering parts, buying insurance, and providing support
If you are a massage therapist who gets stressed by working long hours or being unable to set your own rates, give Zeel a shot. This gig economy app connects you with clients in your area and gives you the chance to set your own schedule and earn what you deserve.
- Connect with customers for same-day massage appointments
- Convenient and safe appointments
- Earn an average of 75% of the total cost of the Zeel massage you perform
- Weekly direct deposit payments
- 18% gratuity automatically added to the price of the massage and then 100% of it is passed on to you
- Zeel charges customers for late cancellations
- Uses your phone’s GPS system to send you massage requests that are most relevant to you based on your location
Angela Stringfellow is a writer with 10+ years of experience. She focuses on news, trends, and insights in marketing, business, and technology.