Businesses in the hospitality industry face several staffing challenges, from high turnover in the industry to steady growth resulting in more jobs but fewer candidates to fill them. To combat these issues, some hospitality companies turn to staffing agencies and recruiting firms to find qualified candidates. Others post job openings across multiple job boards and struggle to screen applications and manage the hiring process. Using these staffing approaches, it often takes weeks (or more) to fill an open position. As restaurants, hotels, and other hospitality companies know all too well, that’s simply too long to wait when your business is booming and your customers are waiting for service.
Smart hospitality companies know they’re not limited to these costly and time-consuming staffing approaches. Wonolo’s on-demand staffing solution is a better and more cost-effective solution, connecting hospitality companies with thousands of pre-screened workers ready to accept your job in minutes, meaning no more frantic phone calls to find someone willing to fill in for a call-off. Whether you’re looking for a line cook or dishwasher, server, hostess, or other role, Wonolo’s on-demand platform makes it easy to find qualified workers fast.
Staffing Challenges in the Hospitality Industry
The hospitality industry is no stranger to staffing challenges. Job growth has been growing steadily for the past decade, according to data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS). Accordingly, unemployment rates in the hospitality industry have been on a steady decline during the same period, dropping to 4.5% in April 2019, a marked decrease from just a few months prior (down from 6.4% in January 2019). Industry growth leads to an increase in industry employment, but a tightening labor market means there are lots of job openings but not as many candidates to fill them.
Turnover is also a challenge for hospitality companies. In the hotel and motel industry, for instance, the annualized turnover rate is about 73.8%., a striking difference compared to the rate most HR experts agree is healthy: 10 to 15%. With so many job openings, it’s easy for workers to jump from company to company with the goal of getting higher pay, better benefits, or to escape a less-than-ideal working environment.
High turnover means hospitality companies are facing an endless cycle of spending money on recruiting, hiring, and training, only to have to do it all over again as workers separate from the company. It’s costly, time-consuming, and inefficient.
Hospitality Staffing Options
Hospitality companies have several options for recruiting and hiring workers, but most don’t fully address the industry’s unique hiring needs:
- Traditional Job Boards: It’s often expensive to post a job opening on a traditional job board. When you’re posting the same job across multiple job boards in hopes of finding qualified candidates, the fees add up quickly. When the applications start flooding in, it’s up to your HR team or management staff to screen applicants, conduct interviews, and carry out the hiring process.
- Hospitality Recruiting Firms: Hospitality recruiting firms do the work of sourcing and screening candidates, sending you the top candidates they deem a fit for your company. Most recruiters operate on contingency, meaning they only get paid if you hire a candidate they find. Because the fee is typically a percentage of the candidate’s first-year salary, many recruiters only place candidates for higher-level roles such as management and professional services (such as dieticians). If you need to find qualified wait staff quickly, a recruiting firm is probably not an ideal solution.
- Hospitality Staffing Agencies: Like recruiters, hospitality staffing agencies handle sourcing and screening candidates. Staffing agencies focus on filling temporary openings, so they maintain a pool of candidates to meet their clients’ needs. Staffing agencies add a markup to a worker’s hourly rates, so as the client, you could be paying a significantly higher hourly rate than you would using other solutions, such as on-demand staffing. Other concerns with staffing agencies include slow time-to-fill and a limited talent pool.
None of these solutions are ideal for restaurants, hotels, and other hospitality companies faced with filling shifts at the last minute to keep the business running smoothly and customers satisfied.
The Ideal Alternative: Wonolo’s On-Demand Staffing Solution
Wonolo’s on-demand staffing solution makes hospitality staffing simple. Wonolo handles all the back-end administrative tasks, from vetting workers to insurance and payment, saving you both time and money. An easy-to-use staffing solution, Wonolo makes it easy to find the qualified hospitality workers you need fast:
- Write a quick job description (such as this one)
- Set the location, time, and pay for the position
- Post your job to thousands of vetted workers in seconds
Wonolo’s fill rate often averages 3-4x compared to traditional staffing agencies, making it a practical, cost-effective, and efficient solution for restaurants, hotels, casinos, resorts, and other hospitality companies with last-minute staffing needs. Our ranking algorithms ensure that we match the best Wonoloers with your job, and our onboarding process ensures that Wonoloers are in line with our business philosophy and expectations. When you use Wonolo, you can be confident that your guests and customers will receive the top-notch service your business is known for.
Sign up today to get access to Wonolo’s world-class hospitality workforce to solve all your staffing needs with ease.